pexels-sergio-souza-1782146 1.png

How to reduce queues by 40% at theme parks through the use of a native mobile app

case-study 1.png

Helped customers download over 100,000 photos during launch month

contrast 1.png

Reduced queues at Chessington by 40%, as customers opted for app

mockup 1.png

Designed and tested a native app that allowed users to download photos

Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 10.23 1.png





12 Months


Design and test native app

My role

UX Designer

Group 31.png


Evaluating the existing design

Image 1_1 1.png

For the first few days, I spent time playing with the product as well as talking to members of the Digital team including the PO and developers. My first main task was to inherit the original usability trial plan, named the "Alpha Trials" which had been decided to be a live trial a Madam Tussauds, London. We tested over 100 people in three days. People were given the app and asked to go around the site using it. I followed a few people around at a time, observing and asking questions.

Slide 16_9 - 2 1.png

A usability report was produced after the trial by myself. This report was split into two parts. Part one focused on the data gathered from the research, each issue found was given a RAG status (Red, Amber, Green.). The second part of the report focused on what the next steps were. Which suggested we run an Empathy workshop, to help the team understand our users more, and a Design workshop to sketch out solution ideas with the team.


Empathy and Design workshops

image 1.1 1.png
Group 32.png
Group 33.png
Group 34.png
Group 35.png

We arranged two workshops. The first was an empathy workshop. The aim here was to build empathy for our users by our team. To really understand the issues and challenges our current user base are experiencing. First I opened with a brief summary of the usability test results, then we did a post-it note ‘empathy tree’ activity. Items put up on the branches were less important, ones near the ‘core’ are considered more important.

Image 1 1.png
Group 38.png
Group 39.png
Group 36.png
Group 37.png

The second workshop was a design workshop. The Design Studio method which is very straight forward. The PO, developers, UI designer, scrum-master, and myself were all involved. The process was simple, everyone was given paper and 8 minutes to design how they would design the journey to download your ride photos - from scratch. After this time everyone presented and we discussed. Lastly we dot voted on which ideas we liked the best. After this myself and the UI designer refined the ideas and took them into the next step.


Sketching and iteration

Image 1.2 2.png

After the workshop we had a very good idea on the direction we, as a team, wanted to go. Therefore with the help of the UI designer we refined the designs on paper, knowing we had only time to paper-prototype and lean test. We focused on the components used and the interaction design here.

image 6.png


Lean based testing

image 7.png
image 8.png
Image 1.5 1.png
Image 1.5 2.png
Image 1.5 3.png
Image 1.5 4.png

Once we were happy with the sketches, we polished them off and used POP by Marvel to paper-prototype up the journey. I hooked it all up in POP, and wrote out a discussion guide which included various tasks we wanted to test during the lean testing.

pexels-mentatdgt-1311518 1.png

Although we could not get budget for recruitment for testing, we did have access to various theme parks that Picsolve operated in. Therefore we took our paper prototype in Marvel and took to Thorpe Park. We tested with who we could on the fly, and overall found a vast improvement across all metrics when compared with the first testing.


Creating consistency

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 16.07.30.png
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 16.12 1.png

The visual UI designer then created a consistent UI kit that could be applied to this project and all further products the company wanted to release. I helped on this, but the majority of the work of UI vision was created by our UI designer.


Chessington Park

image 9.png

The app was launched to Chessington first, and over the first month over 100,000 photos were paid for and downloaded. Overall this project was a success, as we also developed a clear testing plan, moderated trials, updated and refined the UI kit and component library, and launched the app in one park.

usability 1.png

Finished designing the MVP journey with a focus on Interaction Design

customer-review 1.png

Developed a usability testing plan, and moderated testing

heatmap 1.png

Updated and refined the UI tool kit ready for future journey designs

A/B Testing | UI Design | Web and Responsive

Increasing conversion rates by 25% for Vodafone through A/B testing